Saturday, September 1, 2007

MUMMY RETURNS!


Did any one ever say festival????


OOOfff.....huff, puff....Tired, exhausted....thats what this entire month makes us women ....but i'm not complaining...Cos I louuuuurv, them. I


ts fun, there's the planning for each and every festival...the menu's are planned, the decorations taken out of storage, gifts bought, clothes bought, stitched, last minute runs to the tailor, and then the most interesting thing that i've loved all my life!! the trip to the market... If my mom was to read this she'd just click on next i'm sure...cos she wont believe its me...me shopping?? Not her daughter for sure...but yes!!! transformations did happen...
Marraige brings with it, these few thrills in life too... The trip to the market, to buy grocery, veggies, the flowers...mmmmmmm i'll go anyday... I always make a list at home, some suggested by my mother in law, and some by the actual need of the day...but that list always gets lost in the forgotten depths of my purse....cos all I can think of when I reach the small lane, called 8th cross , is those wonderful strings of flowers....Such beautiful colours, such amazing varieties, such amazing fragrances... The mallige, shyavanthige, jaaji, sampige, thale.....such lovely flowers, it makes me want to buy all of them.....but just like everything, I have to stop...or else i'll land up lugging huge bags... Then comes, the interesting part...each festival has their share of decorations....for the varalakshmi pooja, we have stuff to decprate the goddess, her hair ornaments, the crowns, the jewels, its so beautiful....then the Krishna janmashtmi, where u have decorations for the Ladla krishna....the cradles, crowns, the garlands.... no one can resist such stuff.....I know, cos each time, my mother in law tells all visitors " u let her go to the market, and she'll return with the whole market itself!!! " Can u blame me???? I have a friend who just said that she misses all this stuff.....so i'm just filling myself with fun and shopping...



Lakshmi pooja finished , raghavendra swamy aradhane done, now we're all getting ready to celebrate the Birth of Krishna...and what does the preparations mean??? again cook, decorate and enjoy.....now getting ready to buy stuff all over again....and I love it!!!


Now its time for Chakli's murrukkus, obbattus, adhirasam, appam, seede, kodbale, thengol, nippattu...( wondering y the mix of culture.....??) Nothing to worry,....just taminnada in the fore....

1 comment:

Madhumita said...

Am smiling broadly after reading this! Where is this - Malleswaram 8th cross? Sounds so much like it ... lived for 10 years in Rajajinagar as a kid and simply loved going to the market with mom especially during festivals. Now as a married woman, even living in the UAE, I've fished out enough Indian stores to re-create the same experience :)