Monday, April 21, 2008

Royals skinned!!!

The media all over have glorified the event so much, that I've lost all my thoughts trying to search for what I love in it the most- the sport called cricket!!
Yes, i'm talking of the overhype called IPL.. After the gazillion number of saucy, ketchup dripping reviews, over hyped Mallya event...yes, the terribly thrust in your face -'redskins'....the match though a wash out gave a lot to write about though.
Didn't HE want just that?? I for one am very biased. I was sad by the end of it (SRK being right there didnt lift my spirits at all :( )

A cricket enthusiast...(I might not remember dates and events!) but i'll remember how well matches were fought and how good it was to watch each game years ago.

I remember crowding around the black and white TV set, in those yonder years, where only one or two houses would boast of a set...and the rest of the cheerleaders (yes, it was us , entirely cheering our team on, through prayers, and lucky charms and what nots!)would feverishly finish their tasks at home, bring in their munchies ( yes, it was
mandatory!! ) and come and occupy their respective positions in front of our TV set. Cricket then, was about batsmen, bowlers, and the really interested spectators. The game was played in true spirit. I can rememebr being made to sit in one awkward position just so that the 'luck' would stay with our team!! Who can forget the champagne flowing and the really happy faces when Kapil's devils won the world cup?
Yes years later, we did win a few tournaments too...world cup, etc...but the spirit had changed.

19th - the day the IPL was launched officially, I nearly cried seeing how tortured the real fans of real cricket felt. The cheerleaders stole the show with their skins...wasn't that all they had on ???
The inaugural function was brilliant, so spectacular. I really hope they had stopped at that and started the game as it was meant to be :(

It was star filled...and the spectators were also filled "stars in their eyes" ....drooling over the bollywood and sandalwood stars....Can you imagine, the mind of the players, if they were to play the game watching the backs of all those spectators. It can be spirit-diffusing. I used to admire SRK a lot...but somehow after that day, I was so disappointed. I can not forget how he kept dancing his jig around, and distracted everyone...and how the cops included were staring up at him..

My son was sad too...reason being: When he went to take Shane Warne's autograph..he caught him staring at the 'skins', when he was supposed to be watching cricket and the match. And this they call cricket!!!!!
It was more like 'crik-ed', necks and all :(

For those who want to watch a clip of the ceremony, check here


Disclaimer : These are my own views and whoever wants to sue me....try it...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

so true...

its ot abt cricket its abt sme businessmen wanting to make sme quick money!

at the devilish amount of money being spent.. on all this... i wish...they cud jus donate a lil to smeone!

i never liked Shahrukh :-/ never!

i wonder hw long it will go :-/

this whole thing is so sad :(

I dnt knw....why but I respect ICL more! dnt knw why...maybee because they r fighting to play good cricket maybbe!

ceedy said...

hahaha

this is going to be a big perception change required by indians - i dont see anything so atrocious as this is a common practice here where teams are owned by certain people and money is large with all the razzmataazz

on one hand you can say that few make money - but on the flip side - this has some brilliant advantages - this makes the players competetive and professional - he can be traded or dislodged - this will increase the professionalism - which i hope you agree we lack in india big time....

secondly it will allow lot more people to enjoy the live cricket which in india is a religion - ticket prices will come down - and lot many will be able to see their cricket stars....

and finally about the "skin" - well the truth is to sell smg in movies they have item numbers - this is the IPL item number

and as I see it any business - where someone is selling a TV, their body, or spiritual discourse is always based on getting profits....so ethics are the last thing on their mind....

these are just my observations - why i write this is because reading this I am absolutly postive I will have this conv wid my mom....and i am just preparing myself ;)

and lastly....based on your last post here smg interesing I found

http://www.transmogrifier.org/ch-img/ch870309.gif

cool and keep us IPL posted - i miss it in every way whether it is good or bad

ceedy said...

and btw - the previous comment was not directed to you or anyone just a general observation....so please dont get offended

Rambler said...

I agree that IPL is a little overhyped..but then the matches are still fun :)..atleast so far

aMus said...

heh..heh...
my!! you are fuming!! :D

so finally whose autographs did R manage to get ?

Prats said...

@veens...as long as the game is played in true spirit, I think the fervour and intensity will remain...Just have to hope for that.

Prats said...

@ceedy...My, my!!! that was one long gyan for me...but so nice of you...
yes its the mindset out here...and it needs to change. But out there, the acceptance levels are higher, I suppose.

I have nothing against glamour entering the game, but only wish they wouldn't make a mockery of the whole thing...
The stars out there uotnumbered the media reviews by their presence...adn that is not what we want, do we???Sharukh and his entire coterie can go dance around trees for that...

Did you have that conversation with mom??? It would have been fun to watch your face while she spoke..

And you were honest and yes, i'm not offended...I shouldnt be.

And have to to tell you...Calvin just had to make my day..thanks for those extra smiles...

Prats said...

@rambler...yes, thankfully after first debacle...the game picked up...and the last few matches have been exciting, esp the Royal challengers VS mumbai.....

Prats said...

@suma...am fuming cos I didnt get to see the game as in the name [:(]
R was around all over the field...and managed to get many signs....he's happy.

broca's area said...

wht u said is absolutely right....they are follwing the western style of promoting the game!!!...

Anonymous said...

A cricket fan! Yipee! I never mention cricket on my blog because

a) the majority of my readers are in the US and wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about
b) I thought I would be talking to myself as I never see it mentioned anywhere else!

The IPL is wonderful. I know there is an argument that the money could be better spent elsewhere, but cricket has the same unifying quality that the football league has here

My only regret is that England have not signed up - a view shared by the majority of cricket fans here

Unknown said...

you could take off the disclaimer.. IPL sucks.. (I ain't a fan of cricket much)

But.....

but, I think i will be watching a match.. thanks to someone who has an 'extra' ticket. Need I say more.

now, I wanna know if they serve beer in the stadium?? I'd have no complaints.

Prats said...

@brocasarea MOre than the promotion its the hype that takes away the spirit of the game and puts everyone into spirits..thanks to our very own ..."spirited" owner of Royal Challengers :D
But just hoping good things come out of it...cos cricket is cricket...

Prats said...

@keith...lol I love that ID you've got..so very cricket..Now i'm convinced where the love for it comes from.
Like you said I really wish England too had been part of this....it would have been so interesting.

I love cricket...though I cam't remember stats so well...blame it on my restless brains...i'll sit through any game...now i've taken to sitting thru school cricket too with my son :D
Money is always spent...and yes, like the rest of the world and other sports...
The grouse here on the first match openign was the total disinterest in the game and more on the glamour...which was saddening.

Today's match is very interesting with some very good runs being scored...

ceedy said...

@prats

converstaion with mom will be this weekend - will fill you in - it is going to be funny for sure

also as i said that ppl need to adjust - so do the coterie - i guess its all new for them also

and there is a whole angle of how money will rotate bcos of this and get jobs to so many which i did not even graze...:)

Prats said...

@ aaaw j, I know how you feel.
Thankfully the matches have gotten interesting now...with a few matches been fought well..and some good scores.

And yes, if you have the pavillion tickets you get served beer...there's no need to buy it... ;)

Keshi said...

SRK was there too? WOW! :)

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

wow Ceedy's comment is well in a way an eye opener :-)

Thanks Ceedy :))

and good luck with yur Mom :D